Timeline of lighting technology
* circa 3000 BC Candles are invented.
* ??? BC oil lamps
* 1840 first kerosene lamps (oil lamps that burn fuel from petroleum)
* 1853 Ignacy Lukasiewicz invents petrol lamp
* 1792 William Murdoch lights his house and office by means of gas.
* c. 1802 Humphry Davy demonstrates arc-lighting.
* 1815 Humphry Davy invents the miner's safety lamp.
* 1835 James Bowman Lindsay demonstrates a light bulb based electric
lighting system to the citizens of Dundee.
* 1841 Arc-lighting used as experimental public lighting in Paris
* 1867 A. E. Becquerel demostrates the first fluorescent lamp
* 1875 Henry Woodward patents the electric light bulb.
* 1876 Paul Jablochkoff invents the Jablochkoff candle, the first
practical carbon arc lamp, for public street lighting in Paris.
* 1879 Thomas Edison and Joseph Wilson Swan patent the carbon-thread
* c. 1885 Incandescent Mantle invented, revolutionises Gas lighting.
* c. 1893 Nikola Tesla uses cordless low pressure gas discharge lamps,
powered by a high frequency electric field, to light his laboratory.
* 1903 Peter Cooper Hewitt demonstrates the mercury-vapour lamp.
* 1911 Georges Claude develops the neon lamp.
* 1962 Nick Holonyak Jr. developed the first practical visible-spectrum