Timeline of rocket and missile technology
* 1903 - Konstantin Tsiolkovsky begins a series of papers discussing the
use of rocketry to reach outer space, space suits, and colonization of
the solar system. Two key points discussed in his works are liquid
fuels and staging.
* 1926 - Robert Goddard launches the first liquid fuel rocket.
* 1942 - Wernher von Braun and Walter Dornberger launch the first V2
rocket at Peenemunde.
* 1949 - Willy Ley publishes The Conquest of Space
* 1952 - Wernher von Braun discusses the technical details of a manned
exploration of Mars in The Mars Project.
* 1953 - Colliers Magazine publishes a series of articles on man's future
in space, igniting the interest of people around the world. The series
includes numerous articles by Ley and von Braun, illustrated by Chesley
* 1957 - Launch of the first ICBM, the USSR's R-7 (8K71), known to NATO
as the SS-6 Sapwood.
* 1957 - the USSR launches Sputnik I, the first artificial satellite.
* 1958 - The US launches Explorer I, the first American artificial
satellite, on a Jupiter-C rocket.
* 1958 - US launches their first ICBM, the Atlas-B (the Atlas-A was a
test article only).
* 1961 - the USSR launches Vostok 1, Yuri Gagarin reached a height of 327
km above Earth and was the first man to orbit earth.
o - US, a Mercury capsule named Freedom 7 with Alan B. Shepard,
spacecraft was launched by a Redstone rocket on a ballistic
trajectory suborbital flight.
* 1962 - the US launches Mercury MA-6 (Friendship 7) on an Atlas D
booster, John Glenn finally puts America in orbit.
* 1963 - the USSR launches Vostok 6, Valentina Tereshkova was the first
woman (and first civlian) that orbited earth. She remained in space for
nearly three days and orbited the earth 48 times.
* 1969 - US Apollo 11, first men on the moon, first lunar surface
* 1972 - US launches Pioneer 10, the first probe to achieve solar escape
* 1976 - US, Viking 1, touched down on Mars in Chryse Planitia