Timeline of meteorology
* 350BC - Aristotle wrote Meteorology.
* 25 - Pomponius Mela formalizes the climatic zone system.
* 1620 - Francis Bacon analyzes the scientific method in his Great
Instauration of Learning.
* 1686 - Edmund Halley presents a systematic study of the trade winds and
monsoons and identifies solar heating as the cause of atmospheric
* 1686 - Edmund Halley establishes the relationship between barometric
pressure and height above sea level.
* 1714 - G. D. Fahrenheit creates reliable scale for measuring
temperature with a mercury-type thermometer
* 1716 - Edmund Halley suggests that aurorae are caused by "magnetic
effluvia" moving along the Earth's magnetic field lines.
* 1742 - Anders Celsius, a swedish astronomer, proposed the centigrade
scale for thermometers.
* 1842 - Elias Loomis performed an experiment to gain insight into the
wind speed needed to defeather a chicken. He loaded a cannon with gun
powder and a chicken.
* 1860 - 500 US telegraph stations are making weather observations and
submitting them back to the Smithsonian Institute. The observations are
later interupted by the Civil War.
* 1869 - Joseph Lockyer starts the scientific journal Nature.
* 1890 - Weather Bureau is created as a civilian operation under the
Department of Agriculture.
* 1898 - Weather Bureau established a hurricane warning network in the
* 1900 - Hurricane strikes Galveston, Texas, killing over 6,000 people.
* 1920 - Milutin Milankovich proposes that long term climatic cycles may
be due to changes in the eccentricity of the Earth's orbit and changes
in the Earth's obliquity.
* 1925 - "Tri-State" tornado runs through Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana
killing 695 people.
* 1935 - Watson-Watt and his assistant Arnold Wilkins published a report
in February 1935, titled The Detection of Aircraft by Radio Methods.
* 1935 - The "Great Labor Day Hurricane" kills 408 people. It is rated as
the most intense Cat5 Atlantic hurricane to make landfall.
* 1934 to 1937 - The Dust Bowl drought of the US plains region causes
harsh economic damage.
* 1937 - Army Air Forces Weather Service was established (redesignated in
1946 as AWS-Air Weather Service).
* 1941 - Pulsed radar network is implemented in England during WWII.
* 1948 - First correct tornado prediction by R. C. Miller and E. J.
* 1950 - Hurricanes begin to be named alphabetically with the radio
* 1951 - WMO World Meteorological Organization established by the United
* 1953 - National Hurricane Center creates a system for naming hurricanes
using alphabetical lists of women's names.
* 1955 - NSSP National Severe Storms Project established.
* 1956 - The Weather Bureau creates the National Hurricane Research
* 1969 - Hurricane Camille, the second Cat5 hurricane to make US landfall
causes $1.4 billion in damage.
* 1970 - NOAA National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
established. Weather Bureau is renamed the National Weather Service.
* 1971 - Ted Fujita inroduces the Fujita scale for rating tornadoes.
* 1975 - The first Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite,
GEOS, was launched into orbit. Their role and design is to aid in
* 1980 - Mt. St. Helens erupts in Washington State.
* 1988 - WSR-88D type weather radar implemented in the United States.
Weather surveillance radar that uses several modes to detect severe