Timeline of materials technology
* 3rd millennium BC - Copper metallurgy is invented and copper is used
* 2nd millennium BC - Bronze is used for weapons and armor
* 1st millennium BC - Pewter beginning to be used in China and Egypt
* 16th century BC - The Hittites develop crude iron metallurgy
* 13th century BC - Invention of steel when iron and charcoal are
* 10th century BC - Glass production begins in Greece and Syria
* 50s BC - Glassblowing techniques flourish in Phoenicia
* 20s BC - Roman architect Vitruvius describes low-water-content method
for mixing concrete.
* 700s - Porcelain is invented in China
* 1450s - Crystallo, a clear soda-based glass is invented by Angelo
* 1590 - Glass lenses are developed in Netherlands and used for the first
time in microscopes and telescopes.
* 1738 - William Champion patents a process for the production of
metallic zinc by distillation from calamine and charcoal.
* 1779 - Bry Higgins issued a patent for hydraulic cement (stucco) for
use as an exterior plaster.
* 1799 - Alessandro Volta makes a Copper / Zinc acid battery
* 1821 - Thomas Johann Seebeck invents the thermocouple
* 1824 - Patent issued to Joseph Aspin for portland cement.
* 1825 - Hans Christian Orsted produces metallic aluminum
* 1839 - Charles Goodyear invents vulcanized rubber
* 1839 - Jacques Daguerre and William Fox Talbot invent silver-based
* 1855 - Bessemer process for mass production of steel patented.
* 1861 - James Clerk Maxwell demonstrates color photography
* 1883 - Charles Fritts makes the first solar cells using selenium wafers
* 1902 - August Verneuil develops a process for making synthetic rubies.
* 1909 - Leo Baekeland presents the Bakelite hard thermosetting plastic
* 1911 - Superconductivity discovered.
* 1916 - Jan Czochralski invents a method for growing single crystals of
* 1924 - Corning scientists invent Pyrex, a glass with a very low thermal
* 1931 - Julius Nieuwland develops the synthetic rubber called neoprene
* 1931 - Wallace Carothers develops nylon
* 1938 - Roy Plunkett discovers the process for making
poly-tetrafluoroethylene, better known as teflon
* 1947 - First germanium Transistor invented.
* 1947 - First commercial application of a piezoelectric ceramic: barium
titanate used as a phonoigraph needle.
* 1951 - Individual atoms seen for the first time using the Field ion
* 1953 - Karl Ziegler discovers metallic catalysts which greatly improve
the strength of polyethylene polymers
* 1954 - 6% efficiency silicon solar cells made at Bell Laboratories
* 1959 - Pilkington Brothers patent the float glass process.
* 1962 - SQUID superconducting quantum interference device invented.
* 1968 - Liquid crystal display developed by RCA
* 1970 - Silica optical fibers grown by Corning